Monday 9 July 2012

Fassassin? A rant.

Disclaimer: all views are my own and I HONESTLY don't want to offend anyone. Also, let me know if you actually read the entire ramble and I shall give you a hug and a kiss XD haha

Okay, haha, that was a truly terrible title for a post >.< But it's related to this recent news I heard; according to Empire Magazine, Michael Fassbender is all set to star in Assassins Creed. I assume as the main character, Altair. I have mixed views regarding this casting. I know what Fassbender is capable of (for ease of use, and portrayal of affection, I'm calling him Fassy through this post), having seen his performance in X-Men First Class, Shame, and a few clips of Prometheus. There's no denying - the guy is talented. But Altair?? Really??

Let me actually begin my rant, my essay of concerns and issues. Which, may I add, have little to do with Fassy himself... So firstly, Altair, the hardcore assassin himself, is Syrian. He was born in Syria, and has lived on the streets of Jerusalem, amongst other places. His full name is Altair Ibn-La Ahad. For goodness sake, many people can't even pronounce that name with the correct intonation! So they've cast Fassy as the lead? He's of Irish-German descent, and even when he tries his best you can still here the unfamiliar lilt of those two accents.

And I can absolutely guarantee, that culture won't even get a freakin CAMEO if Hollywood get their hands on this adaptation. Everything will be Americanised. An apt example; Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Performances were great, storyline was adequate, but the prince of PERSIA had a British accent. His accent was more British than mine! What was that all about? Even the way they said 'Dastan' and 'Tamina' was completely westernised. I completely understand that the accents have to be comprehensible, so therefore obviously they couldn't use thick Persian dialects... But there was NO sign of origins. Not even a lilt. And that's what pissed me off about the movie. It would have been better if the cast actually learnt the language (to some extents) and the film was released with subtitles. Very cultural, a new experience, a chance to learn, more realistic, etc.

I don't care as such where Prince of Persia is concerned. But I am a HUGE fan of Assassins Creed. It's one of my favourite games, and one of the few I play regularly. In addition, it hits close to home; although I was born British, my ancestry is Asian, my religion is essentially Arabian... And I don't want to see those roots lost in translation. I really really really hope this movie works. And I really truly hope Fassy proves me wrong.. I hope Hollywood prove me wrong as well. But the latter seems a tad excessive. I guess we'll see right?
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment